Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Medical student afraid of HCV and testing
Jun 20, 2010

Hi i am a medical student from developing country.I am afraid of Hepatitis C as i got exposed to it.On 10/jun/2010 at night i was on duty as a medical student in ER department.A patient came who was HCV positive but he was there for the treatment of Alopacea Areata on the scalp.Duty doctor sugested him intralesional steroids as the doctor was busy so he asked me to inject the steroid with insulin syringe in the scalp of patient.I injected in few sites but as i tried to inject on other lesion of alopacia i felt resistance in injecting needle(as needle became blunt after three or four pricks),i pushed the plunger with force due to resistance,while doing so i felt shower of medicine on my face because the needle was blunt and may be it was not penetrated properly.I saw a drops of blood comming out of the site of needle penetration,i am now worried may be blood got mixed with the medicine which splashed on my face.I am not sure wether medicine went into my eyes or not as i was wearing glasses for my eyesight,but i am also worried because i shaved my beard just half an hour before that incident and i had fresh abrasions and cuts on my face due to shaving.I did not washed my face imediatly and washed it two hours after incident as i was busy with the seniors.Please tell me can Hepatitis C be transfered in this way and do i need testing.What are the chances of getting infected.I am really afraid of testing.Please help me as i am very worried and i think i have ruined my life due to this negligence.Waiting anxiously for your reply.

Response from Dr. McGovern

I always recommend testing for medical personnel for potential exposures - this should be routine and you should get used to seeing your emplolyee health service.

However, you are at extremely low risk.....I would not lose any sleep over this....

Previous
am i infected, question from pakistan, pls doc do answer,thanx
Next
cirrhosis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.