The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hepatitis C
Jun 13, 2010

Hello Dr. McGovern,

I recently tested myself for Hepatitis A,B & C. The results said that I am immune to Hepatitis A & B thanks to the vaccinations that I received when I was young. However, regarding Hepatitis C the result says "Finding equivocal for HCV infection. A follow up specimen of EDTA blood is requested to test for HCV RNA by qualitative RT-PCR to define status of HCV infection."

To me it sounds like the test can not tell if I am infected with HCV and therefore, I require a further test (HCV RNA).

My quetions are

1) Is it common for a person to get such result ("finding equivocal for HCV infection")? What are the odds that a person is found to be positive to HCV infection in the HCV RNA test given that the first test result is "equivocal"?

2) My spouse has chronic HBV? Does she also need to test if she has HCV?

Thank you.

Response from Dr. McGovern

It is not common to get this kind of test result but it can happen. It is important to get follow-up hepatitis C testing to confirm your status. The result will really depend on whether you have risks or not. If not, it is probably a false positive test.

Yes, your spouse should definitely have testing for HCV - but I suspect that has been done in the past.

You should also have period monitoring of your hepatitis B surface antibodies and get booster shots from time to time to protect you against HBV infection if your spouse has chronic HBV.

Contact with chronic Hepatitis (PCR 9900 v/ml)

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint