HIV + Hepatitis B

Hello Dr. I was diagnosed with chronic Hepatits B and HIV six months ago, and my doctor decided for me to start on Atripla. I've been taking the drug for three weeks now, but seems that my Hepatits B symptomps increased. I had hepatic tests done, and my transaminases increased as well as the viral load (in March it was 3,200 copies, now, 33,600 copies). I'm worried, is this normal?

Hepatitis flares with increased ALTs can certainly happen in the initial phases of hepatitis B treatment. I agree with your doctor that Atripla is a good choice for your HBV and HIV infections. I would expect that your viral load will eventually decline to non-detectable. Sometimes when HBV flares, the viral load goes up before it comes down.

I would let your doctor know if you are developing right upper quadrant pain, nausea or vomiting. I would also get blood tests to look at your liver's synthetic function (INR and albumin).

As a first step in evaluating your liver, your doctor may want to get an ultrasound to evaluate your liver and spleen. Whether you get a liver biopsy will probably depend on if the liver function tests trend downward or not while you take Atripla.

I suspect that things will quiet down but you need very careful monitoring of your blood tests to be sure. Your baseline viral load is low so I am very hopeful for full viral suppression. Take these medications with great adherence daily. This is the simplest regimen there is for both HIV and HBV infections.

telaprevir plus pegylated interferon
Hepatitis Bs carrier negative of hepa Be antigent