babysiter is positive, are my kids at risk? help!

hi! i have 3 kids, 1st kid is 6yrs old w/ 3 vaccines of hepa B 2nd kid is 3 yrs old w/ 2 vaccines of hepa B my youngest is a new born w/ hepa B vaccine at birth. we have a babysiter who is been w/ us for a yr, and we just found out that she is positive. are my children at risk? does saliva thru talking can transmit the Hepa B virus? what are the test my kids should undergo to be able to know if they too are positive w/ hepa B. please help if really afraid for the well being of my kids. thank you.

I would not be concerned about this. The transmission of HBV occurs mainly through sharing of injection drugs and through sex. The HBV vaccine is excellent and protective as well. You can discuss this also with your pediatrician.

You can sit down with your babysitter and have an open conversation about any concerns you have. You should make certain your babysittter knows that if she has a bleeding cut she needs to cover this so she should not expose any other person to her blood. If there is any spilling of blood in the environment, she should clean it up with bleach.

Also, there is a great deal of misunderstanding about HBV. Many patients think they have chronic infection, when they only have had prior infection and have cleared. This may be the case with her as well.

lesions
Test Results for HIV and Hep