Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

babysiter is positive, are my kids at risk? help!
May 1, 2010

hi! i have 3 kids, 1st kid is 6yrs old w/ 3 vaccines of hepa B 2nd kid is 3 yrs old w/ 2 vaccines of hepa B my youngest is a new born w/ hepa B vaccine at birth. we have a babysiter who is been w/ us for a yr, and we just found out that she is positive. are my children at risk? does saliva thru talking can transmit the Hepa B virus? what are the test my kids should undergo to be able to know if they too are positive w/ hepa B. please help if really afraid for the well being of my kids. thank you.

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would not be concerned about this. The transmission of HBV occurs mainly through sharing of injection drugs and through sex. The HBV vaccine is excellent and protective as well. You can discuss this also with your pediatrician.

You can sit down with your babysitter and have an open conversation about any concerns you have. You should make certain your babysittter knows that if she has a bleeding cut she needs to cover this so she should not expose any other person to her blood. If there is any spilling of blood in the environment, she should clean it up with bleach.

Also, there is a great deal of misunderstanding about HBV. Many patients think they have chronic infection, when they only have had prior infection and have cleared. This may be the case with her as well.

Previous
lesions
Next
Test Results for HIV and Hep

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.