Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

General Question about Hepatitis Infection
May 1, 2010

Dr. McGovern,

Since 2003 I have had 11 negative HIV tests of all kinds, actually 8 of them were back in 2003-2004 and they said don't worry you don't have HIV.

Well in Sept of 2009 I started having swollen lymph nodes which have since gone away, but my legs have been thinning and I've had some muscle pain in them and sometimes some deep bone pain in my feet or ankles. I am not tired or fatigued, but I do notice that I sweat more when doing physical activity than I used to.

In Sept 2009 I had another blood HIV antibody test and in Dec 2009 I had 2 more HIV tests, both another antibody and a PCR to 48 copies, both negative. I've only ever had 3 CD4 Counts done at my request. In 2003 I had 1000 Cells, in Nov. 2009 I had 701, and in Feb 2010 I had 1202 and ratio of 49%.

On paper I would agree that I don't think it could be HIV after all this time... six years. Yet my leg symptoms continue.

I only ever had 1 Hepatitis panel done back in 2003, do you think I should run that again? My urine is normal and they have done kidney and liver panels and those are fine... tests done by an endocrinologist are also fine.

Does the darkening of urine happen only later on in the disease?

If I had both HIV and Hep C or another Hepatitis virus, would that cause 11 HIV tests to be falsely negative?

Thanks for any advice.

Matt

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would not pursue any further HIV testing unless there is a particular recent risk that you are concerned about.

No, there should not be any issue related to false negative testing related to chronic hepatitis.

I would get tested for hepatitis viruses if there is a particular risk you are concerned about. Also, you can talk to your doctor about getting vaccinated against hepatitis A and B if you have lingering concerns about getting infected.

Previous
Hepatitis C and saliva
Next
hepatitis c occupational exposure

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.