|Hepatitis C and saliva
May 1, 2010
I handled a retainer that came directly from someone's mouth who was Hepatitis C positive. I had a few small cuts on my hand. Should I be tested and what is the risk for transmission by saliva? I have read a few studies from reputable sources on the internet, that show Hepatitis C can be found in saliva.
| Response from Dr. McGovern
Yes, HCV has been isolated from saliva, but there are no data to show that saliva has been proven to be a vehicle for HCV transmission.
No I would not get tested for this exposure.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Hepatitis Transmision Through Saliva
- Can You Get Hepatitis From Saliva?
- Enlarged Lymph Nodes After Insertive Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Hairy Tongue After Sex With Hooker Worried I Have HIV
- Pain In Penis After Foreplay Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Pain In Penis After Open Mouth Kissing What Are The Chances Of HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.