Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Diagnosed with hep C today
Apr 14, 2010

Hello,

I have been diagnosed with hep C today. I have hiv as well. My CD4 are at 490. I am not sure what my hiv viral load is. Can you tell me the difference between acute and chronic infections? When does acute become chronic? Is the acute infection curable? Is the chronic infection curable? I think I was recently infected. My liver enzymes are at 41. NO idea what my HCV viral load is at this time. Would my immune system be able to clear the virus on its own? Should I start therapy?

Response from Dr. McGovern

If you think you were recently infected then it is VERY important to get serial testing of your HCV RNA (viral load) over the next several weeks. If your viral load is less than 100,000 then that would be very suggestive that indeed your infection was recently acquired (McGovern, Journal of Infectious Diseases 2009).

Most likely you will need treatment because the chance of clearing the infection on your own is lower when you have HIV infection. However, I would still get at least two viral loads before making that decision since you do have good CD4 counts.

If you have persistent viremia, I would treat you with PEG interferon and ribavirin to maximize your chance of a cure. Your provider will also be checking your genotype. However, in acute infection, your chances of cure are better than in chronic infection, regardless of genotype.

Best regards for a positive outcome! If you do go on treatment, remember to take your medications faithfully - you should do well.

Once cured, protect yourself from any future exposures through safe sex and no sharing of any kind of drug paraphernalia.

Previous
Lab Results
Next
hep b co infection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.