hep c and personal hygiene items (nail clippers)

Dear Dr. McGovern, Thank you for kindly donating your time to this site. The basis of my question is that in the past, I have seen information stating that hep c lives for days or weeks on surfaces. I was forced to use a friend's nail clippers to trim a piece of my fingernail that was poking out and causing quite a bit of pain. I did not cut myself and I don't know my friend to have hep c. Prior to using the instrument, I poured alcohol-based mouthwash over the clippers and then swabbed them with rubbing alcohol. I know this probably sounds like a medically unnecessary question, but my friend works in the medical field and talks about how misunderstood hep c is, and I deal with a lot of healthcare information but do not have a medical background. This all adds up to my not knowing which info to trust - so I come to you and this site which I am familiar with. I just had a physical a few weeks ago and didn't have hep a,b,c, so i'm kind of depressed now about doing something irresponsible. Did I nullify the risk by using alcohol?

I would not consider clipping a nail with clippers from another person to be a risk taking behavior since blood to blood exposure would not have occurred.

reactive
Prior to Surgery Question