hep c risk from condom failure

Dear Dr. I am a 30 year old gay man, I was recently having sex with another person I met on the internet. While he was the insertive partner, the condom broke. We both felt it and he pulled out immediately. I am starting a PEP regimen (athough he assured me that he was HIV negative) but I never asked him about his hepatitis status. I am vaccinated for Hep B but how risky do you think this exposure as far as Hep C is concerned? He didn't seem to have any lesions on his penis.

I would say that if you did not feel any trauma, notice any rectal bleeding, and he did not have any lesions, the risk is low. I think it is still reasonable to get baseline testing for HCV with follow-up however if you are still concerned.

It sounds like you are taking appropriate precautions in terms of condom use and immediate withdrawal with the breakage. I am happy to hear this because there have been many cases of acute HCV among MSM in the context of rectal tearing and other diseases such as syphilis.

hep c blood work
hep b and french kissing