Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hep c blood work
Mar 25, 2010

i had blood work done and it came back that I was reactive for hep c, however further extensive blood work showed I cleared virus naturally.I had my patner go for blood work and her doctor would only do basic/full blood work on her and hiv test. all her blood work came back good. Her doctor advised he wouldnt check for hep c specifically unless her liver enzyme test was off, which it was not. this same blood work was done again about 6 months later and still good (no elevated liver enyzymes). should this doctor specifically test her for hep c or is it apparent through the liver blood work that its not nessacary? she even asked for the hep c blood work but he persists about her full blood work is good no reason to test... can u guide me alittle here. thanks so much..

Response from Dr. McGovern

I wouldn't base my decision not to test on normal liver function tests. Patients with hepatitis C CAN have normal liver tests.

However, if you were found not to have any virus in your blood, then that is extremely reassuring. You can't transmit the virus if there is no HCV RNA in your blood.

If she would still prefer to be tested, she can get testing referral through her public health department.

Previous
HIV/HBV/HCV triple infection
Next
hep c risk from condom failure

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.