danger of taking hcv treatment.

I have hep c and hiv. cirhosis. type 1a. i was tould by my doctor a gastrointarodlagist,that my chances are slim maybe make matters worse even death. this is a problem,im also now type 2 diabetic. I take liv 52, milk thistle.

If your doctor thinks treatment is not possible, ask him or her if you have compensated or decompensated cirrhosis. The latter is usually associated with complications like bleeding from the GI tract or fluid in the belly, for example.

If this is the case, you may want to find where transplants are being performed in your area so you can be seen at this expert center. You probably do not need a liver transplant, but it may be helpful to be seen and evaluated for future consideration. You will also probably need to be on medications like nadolol for control of esophageal varices (big blood vessels in the esophagus).

If you have compensated disease you may need to undergo your first endoscopy to see if you do have varices or not. This will determine if you need treatment.

In the meantime avoid alcohol and get vaccinated for routine diseases (like pneumococcus) and against hepatitis A or B (if needed).

normal range for sgpt/sgot
Hep C risk help please