Heb B Surfance Antigen/LFT

My younger brother was recently asked by his doctor to have Hepatitis tests; and the following results came back:

Hep B. Surface Antigen (Reactive) 6250 Cut off Rate 1.0

Hep C. Antibody (Non Reactive) 0.091 S. Total Bilirubin 0.5 mg/dl S. Direct Bilirubin 0.1 mg/dl S. Indirect Bilirubin 0.4 mg/dl Gamma GT 21 IUL SGPT (ALT) 16 IUL Alkaline Phosphatase 56 IUL

Kindly advise about the interpretation of these results and what/how we can get his treatment going.

Thankyou for your kindness in advance, may Allah Bless you for your wonderful work. Best Regards

Thank you for your kind words.

It is not clear whether your brother needs treatment. He has normal liver function tests and his hepatitis B surface antigen indicates chronic infection - however, he could have active or inactive infection. The difference is determined by the presence of viremia (eg, virus in the blood). The test that distinguishes the two is a HBV DNA test. This can be an expensive test.

In the meantime, he should have LFTs done about every 3 to 6 months to be certain they continue to be normal. That would be very reassuring...

My best wishes for your brother's health.

Telaprevir status in the USA
What steps should I take?