Hep C Exposure

I am a healthcare worker and recently had exposure to Hep C. I somehow got the patients postive chronic Hep C blood on my hands while I was doing s standard procedure with IV tubing. It came directly out of their vein onto my hands. I am pretty sure I had no cuts, just the usual dry winter hands. I washed my hands shortly after. My employer doesn't think I need the blood tests but I think I would like one for peace of mind. If I go about this on my own what tests do I ask for and how frequently would I get them and when would I begin and end? I am paranoid and worried!

I agree that you don't need testing. However, if you are still interested, you may want to go directly to the CDC website for further information. I have included the exact reference you may want for healthcare workers with exposure....

If you still have concerns, you may want to go back to your employer to discuss since I think you will still want to document this through your health service to avoid any potential cost to you.

Updated U.S. Public Health Service Guidelines for the Management of Occupational Exposures to HBV, HCV, and HIV and Recommendations for Postexposure Prophylaxis. MMWR Recomm Rep 2001; 50:1.

Cirrhosis of the liver
HCV coinfection