The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hep B and Baraclude
Feb 10, 2010

I was diagnosed with AIDS and Hep B well over 20 years ago. I have been doing well with my AIDS drug therapy ever since then - going from my very first medication with Z4T to today with Truvada and Isentriss but without any true concern for the Hep B. Six years ago I had 2 procedures to remove kidney stones and at that time, I was diagnosed with End Stage Liver disease and entered into an organ transplant protocol. Then my doctor got me on Baraclude and I've done well ever since without a concern for transplant.

Now, the Baraclude is no longer covered by my insurance and isn't covered under ADAP in California. Are you aware of any comparable drug that might not cost $1,000.00/month? Should I have more detailed and specific tests focusing on my liver other than just the usual liver function tests?

Response from Dr. McGovern

The main issue is to discuss with your hepatitis B doctor whether you have documented resistance to certain hepatitis B drugs. I would suspect that you may be resistant to part of your Truvada. Truvada is composed of emtricitabine and tenofovir - both have activity against HBV. I suspect you may be resistant to emtricitabine - but not necessarily the tenofovir component.

I can't tell from the history if Baraclude was added because the tenofovir wasn't working. This is a question for your doctor. If Truvada will be effective, you will probably be covered by insurance since Truvada has activity against both HIV and HBV.

HCV treatment
Hep B & C Coinfection

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint