Hep B and Baraclude

I was diagnosed with AIDS and Hep B well over 20 years ago. I have been doing well with my AIDS drug therapy ever since then - going from my very first medication with Z4T to today with Truvada and Isentriss but without any true concern for the Hep B. Six years ago I had 2 procedures to remove kidney stones and at that time, I was diagnosed with End Stage Liver disease and entered into an organ transplant protocol. Then my doctor got me on Baraclude and I've done well ever since without a concern for transplant.

Now, the Baraclude is no longer covered by my insurance and isn't covered under ADAP in California. Are you aware of any comparable drug that might not cost $1,000.00/month? Should I have more detailed and specific tests focusing on my liver other than just the usual liver function tests?

The main issue is to discuss with your hepatitis B doctor whether you have documented resistance to certain hepatitis B drugs. I would suspect that you may be resistant to part of your Truvada. Truvada is composed of emtricitabine and tenofovir - both have activity against HBV. I suspect you may be resistant to emtricitabine - but not necessarily the tenofovir component.

I can't tell from the history if Baraclude was added because the tenofovir wasn't working. This is a question for your doctor. If Truvada will be effective, you will probably be covered by insurance since Truvada has activity against both HIV and HBV.

HCV treatment
Hep B & C Coinfection