Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is HIV and HCV coinfection finally going to kill me?
Feb 10, 2010

I been HIV+for over 20 years but my MD have tell me that I been expose to HCV-1 as well .And I need to treat it now due to the fact that the lab test is showing high concentration of the HCV.HIV is undetectable but my T4 cells are 200 and have been like that under HART for years. This treatment for HCV is very toxic and have only a 50% chance to be eradicated from the liver. What is your opinion in this predicament I found my self? Thank You for your time and compassion.

Response from Dr. McGovern

I feel strongly that you should give the treatment a try.

1. HIV/HCV coinfected patients are at risk for accelerated scarring of their liver.

2. Treatment can cure HCV which can lead to improvement of liver disease.

3. Evaluation of the scarring of your liver may help you decide on whether you want to pursue treatment. However, I favor a three month trial to see if your viral load declines rapidly which would favor eradication. A fast response would be incredibly encouraging and I find that the CD4 count doesn't necessarily predict who will respond.

4. If you do go on therapy, I would follow your CD4 percentage, not the absolute count which will probably fall. You will need to assess with your doctor whether you should go on any prophylaxis while on therapy.

5. Not all patients have severe side effects. That is individual. You won't know until you try.

6. Be certain you are not on DDI which should not be combined with ribavirin.

7. Your chance of cure will also depend on your genotype. Again though the most powerful predictor of response is your viral load decline on treatment at 4 and 12 weeks.

Previous
Acute hepa b person things must do
Next
Hepatitis vaccine

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.