For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Hep B & C Coinfection

Just diagnosed with Hep B & C coinfection...was told by other than M.D. that life expectancy is ~ 5 yrs. after that true? Also, suffer from Bi-Polar...what are the expected side effects of Interferon?

I am not sure where the 5 year prognosis comes from...particularly if you are a candidate for treatment.

Side effects of interferon include fatigue, weight loss, loss of appetite, fevers (with first few shots only in a minority of patients) and mood changes (depressions, irritability) among other symptoms. Some people have minimal complaints. The most important issue for you will be to discuss interferon with your psychiatrist to see if he/she thinks your bipolar disease is stable.

what's my status??
HCV testing