Comment on your post regarding transmission in a sporting environment....

"Transmission would require open wounds in both persons with mixing of blood."

What do you mean by mixing of blood? Does that mean that the open wounds have to be actively bleeding?

Yes, I am implying that there would have to be active bleeding in wounds on both persons and the blood from these wounds would have to get to the open bleeding wound of the other person to cause transmission. As you can see, this would be unlikely, but not impossible.

For example, there is only one case report I know of where someone got HCV from a bloody fist fight. It is a very uncommon route of transmission.

37 years of hep c with no problems
HCV and HGH treatments