HCV needle prick

3 days ago , i was accidentally pricked myself with a needle of cannula of a retro( antibodies) and HBs Ag negative patient with a positive HCV antibodies... i squeezed the blood as much as possible and immediately washed the finger . what would be the chance of getting HCV infection and how should i proceed for myself ( investigation or prophylaxis) ??? thanks you ,,, pls answer my question....it is important for me..

You will want to discuss this immediately with your employee health person for your hospital since this is a work-related injury.

You will need baseline blood tests for yourself....If possible, it would be good to see if the patient would agree to HCV RNA testing to see if he/she is viremic.

Then you should have follow-up liver function testing, HCV antibodies, and HCV RNA testing. Your employee health service person should have a schedule from the CDC.

Then if you by any chance develop HCV viremia (RNA in your bloodstream) you should be monitored closely over the next two months to see if you clear this infection on your own. IF NOT, you should most likely clear with HCV treatment. Treatment of acute HCV is very successful.

Some people treat with PEG interferon alone. Others use combination therapy with ribavirin.

Is it true that hepa b is not curable?
Treatment of HCV with genotype 3b