C&B&HIV

6 monthes ago i had finished my treatment for virus C ( interferon & rebavirin )myp.c.r is negative (zero) iam taking zeffix 100 one daily since 18 monthes my p.c.r is negative (zero) my hiv v.l still undetected since 2 years with out med. my c.d 4 drobed on interferon but now after 6 monthes it is 636 (24%)my cd8 1246 (47%) ratio is .,51%. is there any thing wrong? i need your advise specialy about zeffix . i took it only for B not for hiv. thank you very much.

I am concerned that you are on Zeffix (lamivudine) and you are HIV positive. We do not use this drug in HIV infected patients as monotherapy due to the risk of HIV resistance.

Your HIV is nondetectable right now because you ARE on an HIV medication - Zeffix, which treats Hepatitis B also treats HIV.

I would switch to some other drug for your HBV that does not have activity against HIV - for example adefovir would be a good choice. Fortunately, since your HIV is suppressed right now, I would not expect you to have developed HIV drug resistance just yet...but I would be proactive about switching because I wouldn't want you to be at risk for that in the future.

Alternatively, you could consider starting an HIV "cocktail" like Atripla which includes three drugs in one pill - 3 with activity against HIV and two with activity against HBV. This would need further discussion with your doctor. The new treatment guidelines in the US suggest that early HIV treatment can be considered in patients with HBV infection and liver disease.

HCV genotype 2 relapser. Now what?
One dose of the H1N1 vaccine?