Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hep C antibody test inclonclusive
Jan 15, 2010

Hi! And Merry xmas! (well wish it were!)

I am HiV+ on meds, VL undetectable, CD4 500+ and growing..

However I had high liver levels over the summer, and I was on Accutane which I agreed with dr was probably the culprit. However, when I came to my latest blood test 2 weeks ago (though back on Accuatne for another 2 months at 80mgs p/day) he suggested a Hep C test also, as it had been a year since last one.

Today I received my results and I got the Hep C test was inconclusive, sadly this was from the nurse so unsure if he knew of the Accutane, and asked to ring in to book another test ASAP. Annoyingly I am away from the dr's now until the new year. And although I know you can't say definitely whether I am or not. I wandered if the Accutane could aid the inconclusive result.

Its not a great time to have this on my mind as you can imagine, so any thoughts much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

G!

Response from Dr. McGovern

I am not aware that this drug can cause a positive HCV test. I am also not sure what the nurse means by an inconclusive test.

I would pursue HCV RNA testing if you had any recent risk for HCV (eg, injection drug use, unprotected anal sex with trauma, etc).

Previous
HBV Suppression by Treatment
Next
blood on her lip

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.