RETREAT OR NO? PLEASE REPLY
Jan 15, 2010
Dear Dr. McGovern
After one year of pegasus and copegus, hep c genotype 4 clear on 12thweek virus get back on six months labs. Should I be retreated immediately inorder to keep it low until telaprevir comes availabe which seems to work fine with copegus and pegasus or should wait for one year? What wait will cost to my liver? Now viral load is 350000 iu/ml and fibrosis stage 3-4 Does treatment protect my liver?
Response from Dr. McGovern
You have two options:
You can consider re-treatment for 72 weeks or... You can wait for telaprevir to be approved.
Treatment is important for your liver. A cure of your HCV would mean possible remodeling of your liver with gradual improvement over the years.
Your viral load doesn't tell anything about disease itself; the critical issue is your biopsy. You have significant disease that certainly needs treatment so either option will be reasonable assuming that we will have access to telaprevir in 2011.
I would certainly avoid anything that can hurt your liver like alcohol. Be certain you are immunized against HBV and HAV if you are susceptible by blood testing.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.