Blood borne pathogens in a sporting environment...

Hi Doctor,

I just wanted to ask if it possible for someone to get infected with a blood borne pathogen in a sport situation? I play a lot of outdoor sports and I've gotten people's blood on me during aggressive plays. Is it possible to catch something in this manner?

Thank You,

It is generally thought that the risk of acquiring blood borne hepatitis infections through sports is extremely low. You should be vaccinated against hepatitis B so this should not be an issue - as long as you have developed protective antibodies. Hepatitis C has once been described after a fist fight back in 2000 but there are no reported cases since. Transmission would require open wounds in both persons with mixing of blood.

life
Confused and Scared