Atripla vs. Norvir/Reyataz/Truvada

I have been on the Norvir, Reyataz, Truvada cocktail for one year now. I wanted to switch to Atripla. All of my friends are taking the one pill a day now and say its great. Would this jeopordize future regimens for me if I switch? I am tird of taking three pills a day and having to refrigerate Norvir. My doctor told me I could switch if I want. Any complications to the switch? Also, my GFR on my kidneys is 63 which is bordering kidney damage. My liver has high enzyme levels. I am 40yrs old and have been positive for three years. Am I screwed? Should I be very concerned? Could this be from the Truvada? Thank you.

A switch to Atripla would certainly be possible if you do not have resistance to efavirenz, which is one of the components of this drug. You will need to discuss that with your physician...

If you have high liver enzyme levels, you should be tested for hepatitis B and C...If you do not have either infection, I would wonder about possible fatty liver -particularly if you have high triglycerides, obesity, or diabetes.

As for your kidneys, tenofovir (which is part of Atripla and Truvada) is somewhat of a concern...you should have your urine tested for protein excretion and have careful monitoring of your creatinine.

Hepatitis C
i am positive