The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hep C
Nov 14, 2009

I went to the doctor about a month ago and got tested for everything and i was good except it showed something about hep c and my doctor said she had to run more test because I may have been exposed to it and to see if the virus was still in my blood. So then she took another blood test on me and called me back about two weeks later and said it shows that i do have the hepatitis C. So now i have to go to a there anyway the test could be wrong? R could it show that i have are use to have it and don't anymore? I'm 18 can i fight it off? please let me know anything! I'm worried i hope it was a mistake are hope i can fight it off!

Response from Dr. McGovern

If you have virus in your blood you appear to have HCV infection. Yes you should be able to fight this off with appropriate medication if your doctor decides that now is the time to treat.

Decisions to treat depend on suspicion of disease activity and HCV genotype. You are young and hopefully have had the disease for a short period of time.

If you have no risk factors for HCV except unprotected sex, I would also suggest HBV testing (if you never got the vaccine) and routine HIV testing just to be sure...Your doctor should be offering you these routine tests.

New medications for HCV genotype 1 are on the way and should be available in 1 to 2 years. This will hopefully increase the cure rates and shorten the duration of treatment for many patients.

Concerned that test results are false

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint