hep c- mother and the 6month old baby

2 days ago my wife learned that she has hep c. yesterday me and the baby also took a test. The result of the tests showed that i am clean but the baby's result is positive. i dont know what type of testing they used but they told me that they are sending the same blood sample of the baby for more detailed analisis. We are too much worried about the baby. What is the 'false positive' probability for the baby? Thanks.

Several issues to point out:

1. Hepatitis C antibodies are passed onto the baby so the baby's test will come out positive. This does not necessary mean the baby has HCV infection. A better test would be a HCV RNA test to check for virus. They may be waiting for this test based on your description of a pending laboratory....Don't worry yet. The chance of passing HCV onto the baby is less than 5%.

2. Even if your baby has HCV, the chance of clearance is much higher than in an adult. 3. Even if the HCV becomes chronic, children tolerate treatment very well...

Your spouse should have further followup of her own infection after she gives birth.

hbseg and vaccination
Please interpret my Hepa B profile.