Atripla switched to Viramune and Truvada

I was switched from Atripla to Viramune and Truvada about 7 months ago by my doctor. We were hoping to decrease the amount of depression I was suffering from. The switch seemed to help because I was able to stop taking both of my anti-depressant medications and my partner feels that I am less depressed. These are all good things. My concern is that ever since switching my T-Cell count and percentage have dropped on each of the 3 subsequent tests.

3/25 T-Cell 248 (19.1%) undetectable 5/5 T-Cell 278 (18.5%) undetectable 7/22 T-Cell 261 (17.4%) undetectable 10/27 T-Cell 240 (16.0%) undetectable

He says there is no need to worry and because the sustiva and viramune are so similar that it isn't the reason for the decline. What are your thoughts

I am also not very concerned since I am assuming that you still have viral suppression. I would characterize your changes as a "plateau". They are not really consistent with a decline per se.

However, they certainly need follow-up. If the trend continues, you may want to discuss an alternative regimen in the future...But, there is no rush to do so just yet. You can start to discuss alternative regimens in the meantime since there are certainly many options.

As for your liver, several studies have shown that switching to nevirapine when you have viral suppression does not seem to cause hepatotoxicity which is great news.

pls read dear dr. Mc.Govern...
Hepatitis C