Sep 29, 2009
My mom has hep c. She lives with me, my husband, and 2 small children. Are we being put at any kind of risk? We take all the proper precautions, but I have heard you can get it through urine transmission. We all share toilets. Is it possible for any of us to get it?
Response from Dr. McGovern
Absolutely not. Hepatitis C is mainly spread through injection drug use and much less commonly through sex. I would avoid using the same razors and toothbrushes. That is about it. HCV is NOT spread by kissing, hugging, using the same utensils, etc...
Your mom should be tested for HCV RNA for her own medical care to see if she even has chronic infection.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- When Will I See A Blister On My Lips If I Have Herpes?
- What Is The Difference Between Genital Herpes And Shingles?
- What Do Shingles Look Like When They Are Drying Up?
- What Can I Do At Home To Make My Herpes Outbreak Go Away?
- What Are Ways To Prevent Getting Herpes?
- What Antibiotics Can Be Used To Cure Bacterial Vaginosis?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.