Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

how many years i need to treat!
Sep 27, 2009

Hi Barbara, how you doing. I am the writing you since long and getting your reply regularly. I am so greatful to you. Now i am asking you as follows :

I am 37 years old.My doctor found HBSag positive on november 2006 with DNA positive. After eight month of treatment DNA comes negative. I have tested DNA every six months and got negative and finally last month doctor stop medecine ( i was treated about three years). But when u advised me to start the medicine again as i was E Antegen negative. My doctor tested the DNA again and its come again negative ( 5 times negative) and he started again medicine ( adefovir-10). All other report of blod is OK. SGPT is 40. I am taking the medicine reularly. Please let me know as follows. : 1. How many days i need to treat? 2. Is their any possibiliy to make the resistance? 3. How many years i will live if i have this virus? 4. Do you have any new guide line?

Thanks doctor for your kind co-operation for the helpless people like you.

good luck ratan.

Response from Dr. McGovern

I want to be quite clear that it is certainly possible that you may be one of the fortunate persons who might be able to stop treatment. However, it is important to be aware that the majority of persons with e antigen negative infection do have a recurrence of viremia off treatment.

If you want to see if you can stop the treatment, I would do just that and follow up your HBV DNA at 3 months to see if DNA has returned. If not, I would simply check again at 6, 9, and 12 months. If no return of HBV DNA, would continue following your DNA less frequently and would be cautiously happy that you do not need any more therapy.

If the HBV DNA returns after stopping medication, then I would simply go back on the medication for years to come until we know more about the management of HBV.

No resistance will occur as long as there is no viral replication. You will just need monitoring on treatment for your kidney function over time.

Best regards to you and my best wishes for the health of your liver!

Previous
Analyse my results am away from Doctor !
Next
it is possible to be treated for a long time?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.