Sep 18, 2009
If somebody snorted cocaine but never used IV drugs, would they be at risk for HCV? Should they be tested? Thank you.
| Response from Dr. McGovern
There was a study that showed that snorting cocaine was a risk factor for acquiring HCV infection. That study did not ask the participants if they had also used injection drugs. However, a recent paper showed that it is feasible that HCV virus can be spread through snorting by measuring virus in nasal passages, etc...
I think it is reasonable to have HCV testing, although the majority of HCV infections related to drug use are acquired through injection drug use.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Headache A Sign Of HIV?
- Odds Of Getting HIV Sex With A Prostitute
- Erectile Dysfunction After Receptive Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Itchy Red Spots After Genital Rubbing Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Jock Itch After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Oral Ulcers After Licking Vagina Sign Of HIV AIDS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.