HIV HAART resistance

Hi, I hear a lot about HARRT resistance. I have had Heptatisis B long ago - 25 years. I will be a new candidate for HAART and about to visit a doctor. Just like to know if there is some HAART medication for every patient or do some patients have resistance to on the 20 something HARRT medicines?

Best regards and thanks for your time. Tom

You will want to know more about your HBV infection - you will need a panel of tests to determine if you were simply exposed in the past and cleared - or if you indeed have chronic infection with detectable viremia (eg, HBV DNA). If the latter, yes the selection of ART does matter and you will want medications that target HIV and HBV simultaneously (eg, Truvada).

Prior to treatment your doctor should get HIV resistance testing to be certain that he or she knows which medications will be the most beneficial to you.

Most of all - once you start therapy, be certain to take your medications every day, which will lessen your chance of developing resistance.

Best of luck!!!

CAN I GET MARRIED
How Long to Treat After Relapse - HBEAG Negative Infection