Hep C transmission possible?

Hey Dr. McGovern,

My Mother and my sister both had HCV. My sister contracted it from my mother during birth. She is now eleven and got tested about a year ago. The Doctor says she no longer has it. Is it very likely that she got a false negative? I also recently read that HCV can be transmitted by personal care items. My brothers and I have probably shared my mother's toothpaste, nail clippers, bar soap, etc. many times. Maybe even a razor. I understand the risk of contracting the virus this way is quite low. Is there any reason we should be tested, or would it just be a waste of money? Also if I do get tested, is three months a long enough wait to develop antibodies?

Thank you

Your sister has cleared the virus - that is great news! Infants who acquire HCV from their mothers have a much higher chance of clearing virus than do adults who acquire HCV.

As for sharing items....I would not share razors. You can get a HCV antibody test to be certain that you were not exposed if you are certain you did share razors. The other sharing items are not a concern.

What's Worse HCV or HBV?
Hepatitis C