Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

3rd post( Hepa B)
Sep 1, 2009

hi dra. i know your quiet busy,i am from philippines 35 y/o it is my 3rd post. in ultrasound my finding is imflammatory/fatty liver & my SGPT is 2x higher to normal & my DNA test 110,000,000. im taking entecavir for 5 mos & this coming sept my follow up check up & to proceed another DNA test. my Question is 1.it is acute or chronic? there is possibility that my DNA test becomes normal or make it higher than previous 2.how long will i take entecavir 3.if i will stop taking entecavir because here in philippines it is vey expensive,what will happen to me? 4. how about the life span? i am waiting for your response because i am worried please advice me. thank you so much & god bless you always

Response from Dr. McGovern

I am sorry you had to post your question several times. I receive hundreds of questions and can't answer them all.

It sounds like you have chronic infection since we don't usually treat patients with acute infection - they usually clear acute infection on their own. You probably acquired your infection at birth or during childhood since hepatitis B is so common in your country.

It is good that you are taking entecavir and I hope that you have a good response to treatment. I can't tell you how long you will need it because it depends on your E antigen status.

Since entecavir is very expensive for you, I would suggest the following: once your virus is completely suppressed by entecavir, maybe you could finish the rest of your course of treatment with lamivudine. This drug is not as potent but I suspect that once you are suppressed it would maintain your viral suppression. Lamivudine would be much less expensive for you.

You should do very well with ongoing medical care. You will need follow up ultrasounds and lab testing.

Previous
Please Please help ms ann
Next
Need your assessment !

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.