going through hell with real reasons...

Hi doc,

I'm really desperate and need your advice. I live in Mexico city and I was victim of an express kidnapping that lasted for 1 day. I was not harmed, but i was drugged when i tried to resist. Finally I got back home safe after paying, but then I began having diarrhea, malaise, and flu like symptoms...first i thought it was for the stress i experienced, but then i thought about the needle and went right away to the hospital. They tested me for hiv, hep B and C coming back all negative at 6 weeks. My doctor says I need to wait another 6 weeks and would advice follow up to the 6th month for HIV and 3 months for Hep C and B...I finally got a DNA proviral HIV last saturday and i'm waiting for the results...Shall i get a qualitative PCR for HEP C and B or just trust my negative antibodies results so far? please doc, i'm 26 and i was about to engage with my girlfriend...now everything seems so odd... Thank you for your work. I don't know anywhere else to turn to...

I am so sorry to hear about your traumatic event.

I think your advice has been good and would follow up on the recommendations. For hepatitis B I would just follow up on the serologies (eg, HBsAg) For hepatitis C, you could request a HCV RNA now or wait for an HCV antibody in 6 weeks. Practically speaking, it would be okay to wait since I would not treat you right away, even if you had acquired HCV, since the chance of you spontaneously clearing on your own would be high. However, if you feel the need to know right now, you certainly could discuss HCV RNA testing with your physician. This is a much more expensive test however.

I would use condoms until you have your test results back. I suspect all news will be good....What you are dealing with now is more related to the trauma of the experience I suspect.

URGENT !! I AM GOING CRAZY. PLEASE ANSWER
plz help me i really want yr help