HCV with deterating CD4 on HIV

I have been on the HCV treatment for 2 weeks now and just got my results back on my HIV CD4 and Viral Loads prior to the starting of treatment. My results were CD4 214 and VL 93050 but the HCV specialist doesn't want me to start HIV meds until the treatment is done for the HCV. I feel that at this point with the low CD4, I should start. What is your advice?

Your doctor may have several reasons for wanting to start your HCV therapy first. I have done just that in patients who had hepatotoxicity from trying to take their HIV medications. Treatment of their HCV infection enabled me to then treat their HIV. I have usually done this in rapid succession (about four weeks before overlapping therapy).

You will want to discuss starting HIV medications as soon as you can. If you tolerate your medications for HCV, I would start your other HIV medications within about 4 to 6 weeks. Avoid zidovudine, which increases the risk of anemia while on ribavirin; also do NOT take didanosine (ddI), which can be hazardous due to a drug interaction with ribavirin.

lightwieghts
HBs Ag Reactive (245)