For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

PCR and antibody Hep. test results after 3 weeks of exposure

Dr. Can you please answer my question? I am going crazy here. I took these tests after three weeks of being cut and bruised by the barber. Are these tests reliable? I still have aches and pains; joint pain. Do I have to do further testing. My doctor thinks my risk does not call for any more tests. I will make a donation.

I am assuming that you took a PCR test for HCV RNA and a HCV antibody test after 3 weeks of a suspected exposure. If you are having joint pains secondary to hepatitis C, your HCV RNA test would already show virus. So I suspect your symptoms are related to something else.

Chronic carrier HbsAg