Atripla & Hepatitis B

I don't remember his exact words, but my doctor told me that Atripla has some protection against Hepatitis B and/or that it can kill the virus. I would like your feedback. What is your take on this?

Your doctor was probably referring to two drugs within the pill Atripla, which have activity against hepatitis B - emtricitabine and tenofovir. The third drug in Atripla is efavirenz (Sustiva) which does not have HBV activity.

It is still unclear if single or combination therapy for HBV infection is preferable for treatment of chronic HBV - this is an area of controversy to date. Combination therapy has the benefit of decreasing the risk of developing drug resistance.

If you are only at risk of HBV and don't have the infection, I would still favor immunization to help protect you against infection.

h i v and hep c treatment
Hepatitis