Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

acute hcv with normalised LFT
Jul 12, 2009

Hello Doctor, Thank you very much for answering my previous question. I am writing here in continuity of my question answered by you on July 3, 2009 under the heading of "Hello Doctor Barbarathanks in advance for reply Jul 3, 2009 " I am diagnosed Acute HCV and my LFT is normal. My Doctor does not recommend treatment at this stage till my LFT is normal. He asked me to visit him again with fresh LFT and PCR Qualitative on 1st October 2009. Yesterday I visited another Doctor for opinion who says that i should not wait and start treatment alones with Pegasys 180ug , Ribazole 400mg.. I am very much confused. What do you think about it? Since my LFT has normalized and may be a contraindication for treatment with pegasys. What are other approved medications available in the market. Though I am not sure its availability in Pakistan. Thanks

Response from Dr. McGovern

If you have acute HCV, I would monitor your HCV RNA for about 10 to 12 weeks at monthly intervals. If you do not clear by 12 weeks, I would treat you for your hepatitis C infection for about 24 weeks.

Your liver function test results do not influence me in my treatment decisions. However, they make me suspicious that you have already cleared so I would check your HCV RNA again before you make any treatment decisions.

Previous
My doctor doesn't recommend treatment for Hep C at this time.
Next
treatment of increased ALT after 4 yrs of therapy with combination INF and ribavarin

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.