The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My doctor doesn't recommend treatment for Hep C at this time.
Jul 11, 2009

I was diagnosed with Hep C years ago. I've HIV positive for twenty years and on meds with an undetectable viral load. I have had two liver biopsies with the result stage 0 grade 1 and then stage 1 grade 1. My hep viral load has stayed at the 6 million level. My new doc says since I have had pancreatitis in the past and that my hep c viral load isn't that high, we should put off treatment for now. Do you recommend this? I've had other docs say they wouldn't wait too long to start treatment. What do you think? Thanks for helping me in the past by the way.

Response from Dr. McGovern

If you have genotype 1 infection, it may be reasonable to wait for the newer medications which will be combined with interferon and ribavirin...These new medications will hopefully increase the chance of cure and decrease the duration of treatment needed. There will be studies forthcoming in coinfected patients...

The good news is that you disease is on the mild side but I would certainly keep on top of this. You may consider a non-invasive serum marker at this point (a simple blood test like Fibrotest or Fibrosure) to see if your blood testing matches your liver biopsy. If so, then you could get annual blood sampling. I would also avoid alcohol. Be certain you are immunized against hepatitis A and B as well. Also keep yourself trim with a good diet and exercise so you don't put yourself at risk for fatty liver.

PCR Positive now what shall i do for managment
acute hcv with normalised LFT

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint