Jul 3, 2009
i have had recent labs drawn my alt is 219 and ast 159. when are they considered to be too high. i did treatment in back in 2000 enzymes returned to normal bot my hiv meds failed. i found out in 86 that i was hiv.
| Response from Dr. McGovern
It is hard for me to advise you because there is not enough information here.
However, I will tell you that liver function tests can be abnormal from several reasons:
1. A new viral hepatitis 2. Drug injury 3. Fatty liver 4. Alcohol 5. Other liver diseases.
I would have your doctor evaluate other causes of disease, but the other possibility is that this is just the waxing and waning of LFTs seen with chronic hepatitis C infection. Be certain to see a doctor who is expert in the liver. Either an infectious disease doctor or a hepatologist.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Sore Throat A Sign Of HIV?
- Swollen Lymph Glands Sign Of HIV Infection
- Can You Contract HIV From Picking Your Nose?
- Itchy Balls After Licking Genital Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Itchy Skin After Touching Skin Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Sore Testicles After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.