Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hello Doctor Barbarathanks in advance for reply
Jul 3, 2009

I visited my doctor with symptoms of Jaundice on 14th April 2009. Following are the results of tests. Hepatitis A = Non reactive, Hepatitis B = Non reactive, Hepatitis E = Non reactive Hepatitis CReactive, S/CO.11.16 HCV by PCR (RNA)Detected Ultrasound Abdomen..Hepetomegaly LFT Total Bilirubin = 18.95 mg/dl, Direct Bilirubin = 16.23, AST = 1408 U/L,ALT = 1410 U/L Alk Phosphate116 U/L Latest results of Tests performed on 2nd June 2009 are as follows HCV by PCR (RNA)Detected LFT Total Bilirubin = 0.87, mg/dl, Direct Bilirubin = 0.39, AST = 32 U/L,ALT = 32 U/L Alk Phosphate67 U/L My questions are :- 1. Am I at Acute HCV stage? 2. How long should I wait if my virus is cleared by itself? (Should I wait for 6 months from 14th April 2009) 3. Should I start medication at this stage? (Although my LFT is normal) 4. What further tests I require before starting treatment? 5. Should I take vaccine for Hepatitis A and B prevention? Thank you

Response from Dr. McGovern

Well thought out questions.

Yes, you do have acute hepatitis C it appears. If you tested negative in the past and are now antibody positive this would be a definitive diagnosis. However, even without that information, your jaundice, high ALT and AST, and reactive hepatitis C antibody with detectable virus makes the diagnosis firmly.

You do need more tests - you need a quantitative HCV RNA to see if you are clearing the virus over time - If you continue to have virus in July, I would go on treatment for hepatitis C since the chance of eradicating virus is high if you act fast and the length of treatment is generally shorter. Then I would check a HCV RNA one month into treatment to see if you are clearing your viremia (virus in the blood). I would also get a HCV genotype.

Since your liver function tests are completely normal now, I would expect that your hepatitis C RNA may be clearing. This would be great news. That is why it is important to get an idea of how much virus you have. A test can be "detectable" even with only about a 100 copies of virus - and a low level would suggest you are just about to clear it on your own without treatment.

I would certainly get immunized for hepatitis A and B and also discuss with your doctor what you risk factor was since clearance of HCV does NOT protect you from getting it again. I would also get tested for HIV as well since I do that routinely in all my patients.

Previous
Co-infection
Next
i dont know if i need to treat

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.