I have HIV along with HEP B & C. I would like to consider taking interferon for the HEP C. Is this possible while taking HIV meds? Or will have to go off HIV meds to do the HEP C meds?

Good question.

I would definitely stay on your HIV medications. This will help your immune system and it is also good to have your HIV suppressed since there are some data to suggest that active HIV can irritate the liver.

Before you go on interferon, you should notice your CD4 count and percentage. On treatment, your CD4 count will go down but your percentage should remain about the same. I use the percentage to follow my patients who are on interferon.

TAke all your medications - adherence counts. I would also get a viral load test after 4 and 12 weeks of treatment to see if the therapy is working or not.

Serbia calling... failure in hep B vaccination and more...
Hello Doctor Barbarathanks in advance for reply