Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hep c alt/ast
Jun 28, 2009

just got my labs back alt is 219 and ast 159. my cd4/% 265/18 v/l is 49. did hep c treatment in 2000 v/l was 5mil went undetectable. but hiv meds failed. long term survivor stated to do the studies in 86, diagnosed with aids in 92. clean and sober since 90. my ? is when are alt/ast levels considered dangerous.

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would be concerned if your labs were 10 above the normal limits. I suspect that they are more in the 5x abnormal range (each lab is slightly different).

The more important question is whether you are having jaundice, right upper belly pain, nausea or vomiting. These symptoms would be concerning in light of your elevated ALT.

Sounds like you suppressed HCV on treatment in 2000. Would expect that this was before you had access to pegylated interferon (this came out around 2004) so would expect you to have a better outcome if you tried it again. It is also possible that your viral load for HCV may be at a lower level which would be good for treatment response.

Previous
supplements with HIV HCV coinfection
Next
HCV and HIV compared

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.