|Tenofovir & Hepatitis B
May 23, 2009
I take the HIV drug Atripla, which contains tenofovir (Viread). I understand tenofovir has anti-viral activity against Hepatitis B. I was told that it could potentially block Hepatitis B, therefore it could prevent you from being infected. Is that true?
Response from Dr. McGovern
This medication is excellent for treatment of chronic infection with hepatitis B. There are no data on its effect on prevention of HBV infection.
Prevention should be best accomplished through hepatitis B immunization.
- Does HIV Cause Erectile Dysfunction?
- Muscle Ache Could I Have Acute HIV Infection
- Coated Tongue After Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Jock Itch After Vaginal Sex With Condom What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Muscle Ache After Anal Sex Bottom Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Sore Throat After Drinking After Someone Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.