|Tenofovir & Hepatitis B
May 23, 2009
I take the HIV drug Atripla, which contains tenofovir (Viread). I understand tenofovir has anti-viral activity against Hepatitis B. I was told that it could potentially block Hepatitis B, therefore it could prevent you from being infected. Is that true?
| Response from Dr. McGovern
This medication is excellent for treatment of chronic infection with hepatitis B. There are no data on its effect on prevention of HBV infection.
Prevention should be best accomplished through hepatitis B immunization.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Painful Ejaculation After Condom Broke Anal Worried I Have HIV
- Rectal Bleeding After Vaginal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Sore On Mouth After Handjob Worried I Have HIV
- Sore Testicles After Getting A Tattoo Worried I Have HIV
- Chlamydia Effects In Men If Untreated
- Smelly Vagina Always Mean An Std
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.