Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hepatitis/HIV Exposure? Blood to Fresh Wound?
May 23, 2009

Hello and thank you!! I recently had a rapid hiv (finger prick) test performed at a local clinic. The healthcare worker wiped my finger with an alcohol-soaked cotten ball and then used a lancet to prick my finger. The worker placed the cotten ball on the desk where they routinely perform these tests. Immediately after collecting the specimen, the worker reused the same alcohol-soaked cotton ball(off the desk)to wipe off my open finger wound. Is it possible that a small amount of blood from the desk surface (picked up by the cotton ball and then wiped on my open wound) could result in transmission of hiv and/or hepatitis? Would the alcohol on the cotton ball kill the viruses and eliminate any possible risk? PLEASE respond - extremely concerned about having to get tested in the future due to this testing procedure. Thank you kindly!

Response from Dr. McGovern

I do not have any concerns about this sequence of events as you described.

Previous
Coinfection Treatment- Does old Mono treatment work better for acute patients
Next
mild hepatomegly

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.