For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

What to start first and treatment window

My best friend (only 18yrs old) has just been infected with HIV/HCV and just confirmed this month. He has oral thrush and one chest infection since this time(seems fast- where is the 8-10 year window). We do not have his labs back but what should be his next steps for treatment. Should HCV be first and is there a window period when treatment is most effective for hcv (fist 6 months). I read that HCV is a major longterm issue then HIV. If this is true, are their new meds able to keep the problem at bay and progress closely with HIV/Aids (20-30+ years) lifespan with without liver problems.

Please provide any insight and next steps.

You ask excellent questions, but it is difficult to answer since there are so many other missing pieces of data that are important.

I would be certain that he sees either an HIV specialist who is comfortable treating both infections, or an HIV specialist and a liver specialist who knows a lot about HIV as well.

only 10 weeks
this is the 10th time questioning pls answer