Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Corelation of cronic hep. B and HIV
Mar 30, 2009

dear sir, I was diagonised as HBsAg + in 2007. Now my condision is: HBsAg+, HBeAg Reactive (value 223) HBV DNA PCR detected.SGPT is 123ul/mg and other parameters ar normal. My doctor suggested my to take "Tenvir #300mg once daily". Please help about 1) Has any possibilities to Become HIV+ ? 2) I am going to marry may,09 and she has been given vaccin:"Engerix".Is she safe? 3) shuld i Do lever biopsy?

Response from Dr. McGovern

You have chronic active hepatitis B by your serologies and I suspect your physician knows your viral load quantity and has decided, over time, to offer you treatment. A liver biopsy is not always necessary if your liver function tests are consistently abnormal.

It is a good idea for your wife to be to get vaccinated and then to check her surface antibody to be certain she responded to the vaccine. Then it will be safe. She should have regular testing to see when she needs to get another booster (with the surface antibody goes down).

As for your question about HIV...I always test my patients for HIV to be certain that I am not giving them tenofovir (which also treats HIV) and will only partially treat their underlying HIV infection with only one drug. It is a routine test that is important to do.

Previous
36 or 48 Wk PegInterferon Regime?
Next
Hep B and IVF drugs

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.