Hep C

I am a doctor. I got a prick from a patient who is anti-HCV +ve. What r my chances of gettin it n how frequently shuld i test for that.

First of all, you should have baseline testing of all infectious agents with your occupational health service to be certain you are negative.

Then you should have follow-up testing of liver function testing and HCV RNA at 4 to 6 weeks after exposure and HCV RNA, antibody, and LFTs at 4 to 6 months after exposure (CDC guidelines).

There is no role for interferon for prophylaxis since most patients do not acquire HCV. Furthermore, if you do acquire HCV, there is a chance of spontaneous resolution without treatment. If you do not clear the virus on your own, the chance of cure is greater than 85-90% with treatment.

SGOT & SGPT Levels
HCV / HIV antivirals' treating 1 desease affecting the other?