Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

could this be good news?
Mar 28, 2009

A/G ratio 1.6 Bilirubin, total 0.4 Alkaline Phosphatase 90 IU/L limit 25-150 AST(SGOT) 28IU/L ALT (SGPT) 39 IU/L HBsAG Positive Hep Be Ag Negative Hep B Core Ab, IgM Negative Hep B Core Ab, Tot Positive Hep Be Ab Positive Hep B Surface AB smaller than 0.1 Limits 0.00-0.99Consistent with immunity > 0.99 Hep B Virus DNA <100 Iu/ml Hep B Virus DNA <160 iu/ml

My questions are, 1) I did the Dna hep virus test 2 years ago and the level was 632 IU/ml. 2) I am really confused with the whole situation. If my liver tests are ok, and level of virus low- what do I still have hepatitis? Can you explain to me please what is happening with my condition? I really appreciate your answer

Response from Dr. McGovern

by definition, anyone who has a reactive surface antigen (HBsAg positivity) has chronic infection.

However, that does not tell you whether you have active disease in your liver. Without a high level of virus in your blood or high level liver function tests, it appears that you have chronic INACTIVE hepatitis B.

You still need monitoring to be certain it stays like this. If you are not immune to hepatitis A, also get immunized!

Previous
hepatatis b
Next
Hep C lab results

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.