Diet and Liver Health

Dear Dr. M, I was superinfected (HIV, HBV, HCV) now after interferon (peg), Atripla and Ziagen I'm undetectable for all. I was Stage I liver desease. I know I shouldn't drink alcohol again, but can you tell me what other foods and beverages are problematic for the liver and should be cut? Also, I'm 8 mos. following PegInterferon treatment ... but still don't feel back to normal re cognitive ability. Are there tests for this? Thank you!

Special diets are only required for patients with cirrhosis so I don't think you actually need this.

However, for your general health, you should avoid high fat foods because it is important to keep your cholesterol and triglycerides as low as possible. Bad lipid profiles can contribute to fatty liver and heart disease.

Exercise is extremely important as well for your overall fitness and to keep your weight down.

Your cognition should be back to normal by now. If not, you may want to discuss this further with your physician since I doubt it would be related to prior interferon. Yes there are special neurocognitive tests that can be performed if initial screening is abnormal.

PLEASE ASK MY QUESTION
Lower viral load